Monday, March 10, 2008

The Red Line Is Down

I must have pissed off the public transportation gods today. Everything has been going well. I stick to the Cambridge area only these days; when I take the 69 bus in the morning, I can usually see one coming just down the street, and maybe one that has just left down the other end of the street. And coming home, I have been able to time it right on the schedule, maybe with one exception [which took 45 minutes to get home, but that is another story, and really due to my own stupidity].

Today, I needed to run an errand for work. I left work early so that I can get to Government Center area to pick up some contract documents at the local American Institute of Architects branch. I arrived at Harvard Square Red Line Station just in time for the inbound train to pull in. I'm telling you, my luck has been awesome lately -- I really can't complain. Until now. The train sat, and despite repeated apologies and explanations of a broken down train in front of us from the train conductor, it wasn't going anywhere. Eventually, everyone had to clear off the train. Buses were supposed to arrive to take us to Park Street Station, but I have learned my lesson in the past that when T officials say that they are "on their way," it takes a little longer than one would think. Government bureaucracy effect on time, I guess. I booked it to the arriving 68 bus to Kendall Square Station via Broadway -- I wasn't taking any chances that the shuttle bus was truly "on its way." I arrive at Kendall to find a madhouse. Another T official says that there should be a train "on its way." Forget it...I was on the clock, but running this errand for work is really not worth this much effort. The usually efficient Red Line is even breaking down more often than it used to. It wasn't meant to be today, and after over an hour of waiting for the Red Line, I am home early.

No comments: