Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Students Are Back

Ever since September 1st came around, chaos has ensued both underground and on the train tracks. Trains are backed up. Delayed. Stopping for absolutely no reason underground between stations, encouraging claustrophobia and frustration. Now, why can't the MBTA plan for that and at least run more trains? Even the efficient Red Line has been affected.

The relief is that the Red Sox aren't going to the playoffs. I am a terrible Red Sox fan. And I call myself a Bostonian??? I am depressed, yet relieved that I won't have to fight the traffic on the Green Line. I keep the game schedule pinned up at my desk to not only keep track of who they are playing at any given moment in time, but also to plan the commute each day. So sue me.

On another note...

I am behind in reading the Improper Bostonian. August 30th's issue has a small snippet on the South Station entrances, designed by Boston's famed architects, Machado + Silvetti. Being a registered architect myself, I was surprised by the signature structures. Why aren't they more sleek? They look like ill-formed stalagmites growing from the ground. I am a modernist and I applaud and encourage modern architecture and design all over Boston, but who else shares my view on these "gems?"

No comments: